Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Curious Anole


Photo courtesy of cwulmer


Well Gaslight, I think I'd rather be a fleeting nymph than a green cold blooded lizard. But thank you for suggesting I should be your neighbor, since it is well known that a stable population of anoles has established itself in a Heights nursery (Source: Polychoridae - Wikipedia) On the positive side, breeding season for anoles lasts for several months.

But you are correct, nymph is a poor simile since nymphs are minor female deities. Perhaps I should have used the roaming satyr, who love their wine and pursue the nymphs with frivolous abandon.

Gold and blue, not green, are indeed the official colors of the University of Notre Dame. The colors predate the moniker "Fighting Irish" and the gold is now well linked to the Golden Dome, while the blue is linked to the sky above or to the Madonna whom the University is named after. Nevertheless, green has been used often as a color since the days of Knute Rockne. And if any of this is incorrect, H-Town Runner can correct my error for you.

1 comment:

Gaslight ;-) said...

Anoles and geckos alike abound our Woodlands Heights abode' those lucky enough to escape the claws of Opehelia, anyway.

I would never have questioned a roaming satyr, and I seem to feel a centipede idea coming on....

I thought of it first!!