Sunday, April 26, 2009

Unsettled Weather

The last few weeks in Houston has seen some of the most beautiful weather of the year as well as some of the most fearsome outside of a hurricane. Several inches of rain in an hour or two on two separate occassions hit Clear Lake. Cars stranded on medians. Hail, wind and lightening. Brilliant sunny days with low humidity.

And so it is in life. The good, the bad and the ugly.

The good for me has been continued good fortune at work, a brand new car, a great time at iFest Ireland, a daughter who got the internship she wanted for the summer, a real nice Thursday evening at two separate parties, a sweet 85 mile ride to Austin Texas for the MS150, an awesome group of friends, and more than 4 miles done at the LP run.

The bad for me has been the fact that my leg is still not ready for consistent running, my bike seat collar breaking while riding in Terry Hershey Park(although had it not broken I would not have done the LP run), and the complete loss of my running pace putting me back to square one if I ever do try to compete again.

The ugly was an LP run well below PR pace and as well as a slow 3.6 mile run this morning.

But the LP run was a run with a bib, first individual one since Memorial Day 2008. I will run the relay next weekend and then likely put the running shoes in the closet until further notice. To run again, I'll have to be able to train consistently since it will take several months to regain my running fitness. I do believe my lower leg is slowly getting stronger and more capable, but it may be quite a while yet.

Reading the above the good is much more than the bad and the ugly. One needs to remind oneself that as we can all too often focus just on the bad and the ugly.

2 comments:

elf said...

Hey there,

Good to see that the good outweighs the bad. In general it does for me, too. Unfortunately, though, one of the few things that irritates my knee as much as running does is biking. So, I'll probably give swimming a go sometime this week, and the knee can handle the kicking motion, I might look into a masters' swim program. We'll see...

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Good to see ya at Bayou Bash! Hope you had a good time.